A succulent chicken dish sparkling with lemon and fresh pomegranate flavours.
* 1 onion, chopped
* 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
* Olive oil
* 3-4 slices of crusty bread, crumbled
* Zest and juice of 1 lemon
* A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
* 6 sage leaves, chopped
* Salt and pepper
* 2 whole chickens
* 500g couscous
* Seeds of a large pomegranate
* 120g pine nuts, lightly roasted
* 4-5 spring onions, thinly sliced
CHICKEN ONION GRAVY
* 3-4 onions, cut into thin rings
* A knob of butter
* A glug of olive oil
* 250ml white wine
* 250ml chicken stock cubes
* Preheat your oven to 180C.
* Gently fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
* Combine with the bread, lemon zest and juice, the fresh herbs and seasoning.
* Spoon into the chicken cavities and stuff firmly. Tie the drumsticks together.
* Rub the chickens with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
* Roast for 40-45 minutes or until the juices runs clear when you pierce the chicken through its thickest part.
* Transfer the chickens to a warmed plate, loosely cover with foil.
* Prepare the couscous as per the instructions on the packet. Combine with the pomegranate seeds, pine nuts and spring onions.
TO MAKE CHICKEN ONION GRAVY
* While the chicken is in the oven, start with the onion gravy.
* Fry the onion in the butter and olive oil over very low heat for 30 minutes.
* Increase the heat, add in the wine and allow the alcohol to a cook-off.
* Add the stock and any pan juices from the chicken which should be ready just about now.
* Simmer until reduced by half.
source – cooking365coza