Use the natural sweetness of bananas in this healthy snack to reduce the amount of sugar used.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
SERVES: Makes 30
– 85g margarine, at room temperature
– 2 small, ripe bananas, mashed well
– 250ml white or brown sugar
– 1 large egg
– 2ml vanilla essence
– 3ml ground nutmeg
– 375ml Quick Cooking Oats (155 g)
– 190ml bran-rich wheat flour (120 g)
– pinch salt
– 2 ml bicarbonate of soda
* Beat the margarine, mashed banana, sugar, eggs and essence together very well until creamy.
* Blend in the remaining ingredients. Chill while the oven reaches 190 °C.
* Spoon heaped teaspoons of mixture, well-spaced, onto a greased baking tray, and bake for 12-15 minutes. Transfer the cookies onto a rack while still warm. Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container in the freezer, and enjoy directly from here.
Hints & Tips
– Enjoy as they are, or sandwich together spread with peanut butter – no sugar added.
– Cookies are always softer textured than biscuits, which are crisp and higher in fat and sugar.
source – cooking365.co.za